Wednesday, May 12, 2010

More than Conquerors

Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down... in a most delightful way.  -Mary Poppins
While I haven't got the voice of Julie Andrews, I do like to sing this refrain, if only in my head. So simple, yet so spot on. A dash of fun, a happy surprise, a special delivery... all of these can make an arduous situation more tolerable. And wouldn't you know, I'm coming to learn that reading my Bible can also produce similar effects. Go figure.

Before heading out for the day, I worked on my BSF lesson. As I was answering questions and flipping through the New Testament, I stumbled upon one of my favorite verses (I'd forgotten its Biblical coordinates which is why I stumbled upon it rather than going straight there). Anyway, I was really excited to see it again, especially in its proper context. As I departed for work, the words We are more than conquerors were set on repeat in my mind. Good thing, too, as I recalled them several times later throughout the afternoon which actually helped me press on. Here they are, in context:
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written, "For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered."
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.  -Romans 8:35-39 

No comments:

Post a Comment