Thursday, November 26, 2009

Gratitude

Happy Thanksgiving.

Hope this post finds you well and surrounded by loved ones (or at least by foods you love). Unsurprisingly, this Thanksgiving has been unlike any other I've had (actually, one year I was in Istanbul on Thanksgiving Day, but that was nearly 20 years ago, and I can't recall anything specific about it). It's tempting to expound on how I'm missing loved ones and wishing I could devour my mom's pumpkin bread and grandmother's lasagna while laughing with my sisters and cousins. And while that's true, I can't really go there with this post because all day I've felt incredibly blessed and overwhelmed with gratitude.

Today may be my first Thanksgiving in Seoul (complete with ramen for breakfast, rice for lunch, and tofu for dinner), but it's also the first time that I attended BSF on Thanksgiving Day. How wonderful to stand with other women this morning and sing "Great Is Thy Faithfulness," "How Great Thou Art," and "It Is Well with My Soul." These hymns particularly move me, and it was an exceptional joy to sing them today.

So much to be thankful for, I hardly know where to begin. New mercies every day; immeasurable grace; a victorious Savior whose Love is abounding; the remnant; dear family and friends; good health (and a right arm that now stays in its socket); interesting, meaningful, challenging employment; new adventures and character-building opportunities in Seoul; deepening Faith...the list is endless.

I'm thankful for you, too. Thanks for reading.
xo

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jennifer,
    We miss you....but...we are thankful to God for the way He is meeting your need for His presence so far away. (I remember when you spent Thanksgiving in Turkey in 1990 and we were in England.)
    Thanks for the encouragement that God has given me through your recognition of His personal goodness to you...so far away from us. Love you, mom

    ReplyDelete