Sunday, November 29, 2009

Chestnuts Roasting

It's beginning to feel like Christmas in Seoul....
  1. Chestnuts roasting* on an open fire -check
  2. Jack Frost nipping at [our] nose -check
  3. Yuletide carols being sung by the fire -not yet
  4. Folks dressed up like Eskimos -check 
Three out of four... not bad. And it's still November.

It's fascinating to watch how Christmas is unfolding here. Extensive lights and colorful light shows are up at the major department stores (a rainbow of colors, I might add; not just red, white, and green). Haven't really noticed much else. It's only been in the last week or so that I've seen any lights or decorations -and very few decorations at that. Haven't come across any Christmas trees for sale, although I did see one on display in the Cheong Gye Cheon district. Am curious to see how the next few weeks play out.

*I love the smell of chestnuts roasting. I loved it in Manhattan, and now I get to experience it here. If you stop to think about it, Winter has many charms, and I'm choosing to focus on all of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment