Monday, October 5, 2009

Rewind, part 2: Jongmyo Royal Ancestral Shrine

After concluding our tour of Gyeongbokgung Palace, my Korean friends and I walked over to Jongmyo Royal Ancestral Shrine. Like Gyeongbokgung, this property also dates back to the Joseon dynasty (1392-1910). It houses the enshrined spirit tablets of the Joseon kings and queens, and it is where memorial rites are observed in accordance to Confucian tradition. The original buildings, constructed in 1394, were demolished by Japanese troops in 1592; the present buildings date back to 1608.

Due to my limited knowledge of Confucian rituals, admittedly I was bewildered walking around the grounds but was soothed nonetheless by their serene and verdant qualities. Here are some pictures of my observations:

Visitors are not allowed to walk on the brick road as it is reserved for ghosts.

 

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment