Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Future Past Present

Sometimes when I sit down to chronicle an anecdote or idea, I have something specific in mind. Then there are times, like now, where my thoughts are all over the place, and I struggle to zero in on a topic. Admittedly, I feel an obligation to say something meaningful, substantial, and/or significant, and I get frustrated with myself when I miss the mark.  

I've noticed that during the last couple weeks, I've experienced difficulty in getting motivated to write. Lately, it feels like more of a discipline than a creative outlet. Coinciding with this phase are new variables in my routine that may actually be causing this effect (causation or correlation, TBD). For instance, in the last two weeks I've started teaching Ancient History (which requires me to ponder civilizations like Mesopotamia and Egypt) while beginning work on an extra-curricular project that is very 21st century. Consider this morning:  I was at a meeting talking about digital downloads and new media, and then within an hour I was at school preparing to lead a discussion on Early China and the Indus River people. It's almost like the subway ride I took from the meeting to school is a time machine transporting me into various millennia. Okay, so that may be a stretch, but at least that's how it feels.

Anyway, all this to say that if you've noticed a slump, you're not alone -I'm aware of it, too, and the above is my attempt at an explanation. Thanks for sticking with me; I'm aiming to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment