Saturday, January 2, 2010

Sad Farewell

Those who know me well have likely been anticipating this post. Yes, today was indeed a very hard day. Saying farewell to loved ones is never easy, particularly if you don't know when you'll see them again. And so I found myself for the better part of the day blinking back tears and trying to talk about bland, non-emotional topics like traffic and weather. Of course, when I actually said goodbye to my dad at the bus station, I was unable to stay collected. A very tearful hug ensued, followed by more tears once he was out of sight. The good news is that there are people in my life to get sad over when we part geographically; also:  a brand new bank of memories to reminisce about in the future.

An unexpected invitation from a local friend brought immediate encouragement my way. We met for dinner and talked about the opportunities + challenges of living abroad (thank you, c.s. mate). It was a healthy diversion and a good way to reset and begin mentally preparing for the hectic month ahead. Oh, did I mention that Monday is the start of an intensive, four-week teaching schedule (13 hour workdays)? I'll be busy, but maybe this will make it easier to get through the freezing January temps.

(Bright spots of color in the bus station vicinity which helped to cheer me after the sad goodbye)


 

4 comments:

  1. Your post left me with tears in my eyes and a huge lump in my throat! I have been praying that you would be encouraged after Dad left and I am so happy to hear that you were. We miss you so much here, Jennifer! I know that you are having an amazing time, but the warm SoCal sun and glistening waters at the Montage are calling for you! :) As am I, Morgan, Reagan, and Bruin! We will be cheering loud for UT this coming Thursday night! Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,
    My heart and mind could imagine your tearful good-bye to Dad. God is so personal. He met you at your point of need through the friend's unexpected invitation for dinner.
    Thank you for being such a great daughter, tour guide, etc. to Dad for his memorable trip to Seoul.
    I love you, mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanna + Mom,
    Thank you for your very specific prayers. God is so personal, and having an impromptu social event was exactly what i needed after saying bye to Dad.

    Love you lots! xo jse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer,
    Your mom helped me sign up to write to you. I finally figured this out!
    What a blessing it was for you and your dad to see one another. I wish I could go visit you. I will be praying for you and your busy schedule.
    love you,
    auntie lori

    ReplyDelete