Monday, January 4, 2010

Real Snow Day

Due to the weather conditions, school was canceled today (or I should say postponed until Saturday when we'll be working from 10am - 8pm). The timing of when I found out was pretty funny (I was about to walk out the door for work), and I'm still laughing over the fact that it never even occurred to me to look out the window while I was getting ready. Had I done so, I would've noticed 6 inches of snow on the ground and more falling.

By sheer coincidence, I happened to snap a photo yesterday in a location that I returned to today... how different things looked 18 hours later!
(last night)

 
(this afternoon)

Not wanting to squander away the hours indoors, I opted for a day out. First, a quick visit to the post office to buy stamps and mail letters; then, on to Lotte to exchange the boots. The store was terrific about taking them back; unfortunately, they didn't have my size. Good thing I didn't get too attached.

To broaden my options, I headed up to Dongdaemun Market only to discover that the biggest retailers are closed on Mondays. From there I ventured over to my favorite stomping ground, Myeongdong. Stores were open, and I was in my comfort zone. I found several awesome pairs of boots (some practical, many not), but none in my price range.

And so, I began envisioning the possibility of wrapping plastic bags around my shoes and binding them with tape to keep my feet more protected from the winter elements. With this thought still lingering, I tried one more place, and sure enough, they had the next best alternative:  tall boots, in my size, in a color that's tolerable, and a style that will continue to grow on me. Funny thing? They're from the Jessica Simpson collection (my inaugural pair from her label). My friend, in an attempt to be supportive, reminded me that I did spend two years in Texas and that the country detailing on the boots was kinda cute. Whatever. They're warm, comfortable, and I'm wearing them now.
 
(view of Cheonggyecheon, near Dongdaemun Market)


On an unrelated topic, I had my 1st grape ice cream today. It definitely tasted like grape (actually more like grape bubble gum). I may branch out and try other flavors before going back to that one, but it wasn't bad.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jennifer,
    Just love your photos as I feel as if I am right there with you.
    Have fun with your new boots!
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete