Monday, January 25, 2010

Case of the Mondays

Cliche as it sounds, my day began with a case of the Mondays. I ignored my first alarm at 7:45am and fell back asleep before it rang again at 8am. Even after logging extra hours of sleep over the weekend, I could hardly force myself out of bed. A shower did little to help wake me up, so I moved onto coffee and breakfast. Unfortunately, the yogurt I'd intended to eat spilled into an open kitchen drawer, making a huge, squishy mess. Next, I tried getting dressed except that the jeans I'd planned on wearing had developed a hole in a very conspicuous place, rendering them unwearable. Only after exiting my building, whereupon I was enveloped by the frosty morning chill, was I able to feel alert.

I bought choco-pies for my students to reward them for their efforts in giving speaking presentations last week. Choco-pies are like Ding Dongs, though not as good IMO (in my opinion). Always in search of a teachable moment, I asked the students to vote on which they preferred, Kimchi or Choco Pies (nb:  we were studying Comparatives, so my question was:  Which is better/more delicious?). In my wildest dreams I never would've predicted the results:  kimchi the undisputed winner, by a margin of 5 to 1. Unbelievable. So then I asked:  What food is better than kimchi? Various responses ensued, but the food mentioned most often was spaghetti. Ahhh, finally something we can agree on.

No comments:

Post a Comment