Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Iguana's Return

The student who coined "Iguana Eyes" opted to perpetuate the nickname during class today. He announced to the other students that "the teacher" (yours truly) had a new name -Iguana. Outwardly I played it cool and told him that was disrespectful, but inwardly I was cracking up... he knows it's a clever name, and he can't let it go! This particular student is the one boy who has consistently been a problem for all the teachers who've taught him, and in the four months he's been in my class, he's been rude to me on countless occasions. Still, I'm hopeful that I can break the cycle and get through to him on some meaningful level. On a side note, we were talking about why people save money, and I asked everyone what they were saving their money for. His reply? The United States. I moved on to the next student, but curiosity got the better of me, and so I went back to him. The conversation went like this:
Me:  How much do you think it would cost to buy the United States?
Student:  One thousand, five hundred million dollars to buy California.
Me:  What about the rest of the country?
Student:  California is enough.
Incidentally, he's 10 years old.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you have a Korean Bart Simpson on your hands; just don't become Mrs. Krabapple.
    I had a kid like that one time in Spanish class & the teacher asked him to play "teacher" for the next hour...humorous as it was, he kept in line for the rest of the year!

    ReplyDelete