Monday, September 19, 2011

Produce Shopping


Not far from my apartment is a market which sells incredibly cheap produce, in addition to other grocery staples. Tonight as I was passing through, I didn't have my camera with me; these photos shot with my iPhone don't do much justice to the place, but at least you can get an idea.

The market is open everyday from 9am - 9pm. I've visited it before and once again found myself marveling at all the activity that takes place in this most random of shopping venues. Random in that it's not easy to find -wedged between rows of apartments off the main thoroughfare- and there's always a sensory-overload experience awaiting -bikes darting around shoppers, scooters whizzing by, nuts roasting in an old-fashioned contraption, crabs for sale flopping on the ground, and vendors calling out their daily specials.

If you happen to be fortunate enough to stumble upon this place, you'll be glad you did. And afterward you'll probably feel pangs of guilt the next time you pay exorbitant prices buying produce from anywhere else (ahem, E-Mart!).








No comments:

Post a Comment