Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Community


Today while out exercising, I came across this group of ducks. It fascinated me that they conducted their preening activities all while being together in community. Oh to have duck-language translation superpowers and eavesdrop on their conversation! Are they like humans, sharing good news and bad? Do they gossip? Encourage one another? Build one another up and/or tear each other down? 

The power of community is undeniable. It's a force that can be used for good or not, depending on the members.

I experienced the power of community in myriad social contexts over this long Chuseok weekend, and the timing was significant. Given that I've felt waves of fluctuating emotions related to the 9/11 anniversary, I was really grateful for the companionship. 

More than ever, I realize the importance of actively embracing community; it's too precious to treat passively or take for granted. 

Take initiative, get involved, make a difference.
Therefore, encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.  -1 Thessalonians 5:11


No comments:

Post a Comment