Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Pasta Bianco

Normally a red sauce girl, I opted to mix things up a bit this evening (mainly because I lacked the requisite tomatoes to do otherwise -which reminds me, I do need to go grocery shopping soon). What I did have in stock were oyster mushrooms, garlic cloves, white wine, and mozzarella cheese, in addition to olive oil (naturally!). With those ingredients, I created a subtly flavored, though interestingly complex, sauce which I then folded into some vermicelli. Garnished with a generous dash of black pepper, it was actually quite good. To try it at home, do something like this:
  • slice mushrooms into short strips; coat lightly in olive oil, then steam for 10 minutes; add white wine for final minute; remove from heat.
  • sautee garlic (chopped finely and lots of it!) in pan used to steam mushrooms; sprinkle in some water to keep from burning; once garlic becomes lightly browned, add mushrooms back in and mix well.
  • lightly coat cooked vermicelli in olive oil, then fold in 'sauce;' garnish with black pepper and shredded mozzarella.
To complete the experience, I recommend listening to Andrea Bocelli's Christmas album, My Christmas, specifically to his rendition of "What Child Is This" -an awesome duet with Mary J. Blige:   http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/my-christmas/id336010435?v0=WWW-NAUS-ITSTOP100-ALBUMS&ign-mpt=uo%3D2
  

1 comment:

  1. you're amazing little girl! you need to come home and cook for auntie. it sounds like things are 'calming down' a bit over there so hopefully you are feeling more at peace. like mom said, you were so close to the twin towers and yet, God has a plan for you and your life. you are so special and gifted...cannot wait to have a festive christmas with you & everyone! xoxo a.n.

    ReplyDelete