Monday, November 29, 2010

Joy Challenge

Try as I might to avoid them, I occasionally find myself attending pity parties hosted by yours truly.

After a solid week of thoughtfully reflecting on many of the blessings God has given me, I woke up this morning with a serious case of agitation, primarily centered on answering the perennial question:  what in the heck am I doing here? 

The escalated tension between North and South Korea has been weighing heavily on my mind. I wish I weren't struggling with anxiety, but I know that I am. I see it in how I've related to others over the past week -friends, loved ones, strangers- and I am disappointed in myself. For those of you who have recently interacted with me and experienced a more frazzled, stressed out version of me -I sincerely apologize (and by the way, thank you for sticking by me and offering timely encouragement and wisdom!).

So, in light of this public confession, my challenge for the week is to be filled with joy -irrespective of nearby hostilities. I'm noting it here so that you can hold me accountable.

But let all who take refuge in You be glad; let them ever sing for joy.  Spread Your protection over them, that those who love Your name may rejoice in You.  For surely, O Lord, You bless the righteous; You surround them with Your favor as with a shield.   -Psalm 5:11-12
   

3 comments:

  1. You're not alone in this challenge. It's lifelong work, I think, to develop a temperament that truly isn't swayed by circumstances. At least it's constant work for me!
    As I watch the news, I'm praying for your safety there so that regardless of what happens, you'll be kept under the refuge of His wings.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your anxieties are understandable.
    Your assurance of God's sovereignty and presence in your life is an encouragement to all of us who read your blog postings.
    I cannot help but be reminded that you were "safely" in your office (and in your own country)3 blocks from the World Trade Center, on September 11.
    None of us knew what God knew.
    It is a comfort to know that nothing happens to us that is not part of His bigger plan for our lives and His glory....now to keep that forefront in my heart and mind!
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your joy challenge! Pastor Matt had a similar challenge for us regarding being thankful for all of our blessings :) You are in our prayers. see you in just a few short weeks! Ava is sooo excited to meet her auntie!

    ReplyDelete