Saturday, July 3, 2010

Unexpected Encouragement


Amid all the activity of this week, I've been preoccupied with the persistent thought of:  what am I really doing here? Doing, as in how is my contribution to this world stacking up with the blessings and talents God's given me? Here, as in Korea. I've been second-guessing myself and wondering a lot about my immediate future and longer-term plans. Like other expats I know, I struggle at times with pangs of loneliness and being homesick. Even though intellectually I can grasp what C.S. Lewis says in The Weight of Glory -this desire for my own far off country is a desire for something that has never actually appeared in my experience [I'm paraphrasing], I still find myself missing it, or at least the idea of it.  

So, given that context, I was taken aback by something interesting that happened yesterday morning. I awoke to an email from an acquaintance, someone I don't even know very well. But he knew I was living here and felt moved to offer encouragement, recognizing life abroad can be difficult at times. He also shared a timely reminder that God is with me and that moving to Korea is likely part of a greater plan.  

Perfect timing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment