Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Look Ma, No Gloves

As much as I'd like to believe that weather doesn't affect me all that much, it sure was nice to get some warmer temps. So warm, in fact, that I didn't need my ski-jacket or gloves. As I write this entry at 11pm, it's 54F outdoors. Nice indeed... not that I mind cold weather, but it's good to have a change now and then. I actually felt lighter today, mainly due to the lighter-weight clothes I was wearing. May need to forgo a few rounds of comfort food and revert to my Korean diet in order to prepare for Spring's imminent arrival. Bring on the tofu and cucumbers.

In other news, I made a student cry this afternoon because I didn't give her extra time to finish her spelling test. It certainly wasn't my intention to bring her to tears, and I even felt bad about it, so after collecting her test, I returned it and gave her 10 seconds to finish checking it. By the end of the class, she was laughing along with the other students as I practiced holding a pencil in the space between my nose and upper lip. Five months into my teaching tenure, I can still count on one hand the number of times a student has cried in my classroom, and I'm hoping to maintain (or, ideally, reduce) this ratio. However, we're switching up classes next week, and I may have a few criers coming my way...

2 comments:

  1. It's always nice to keep those student crying ratios down.

    (I know you know this but...) Sometimes it's something that went on with the student before they came to you, and you just sent them over the edge.

    So don't beat yourself up about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great insights, Marc! I needed that reminder. Thank you. And thanks also for your pep-talk email earlier this week. I owe you a reply...

    ReplyDelete