Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Joy of Midterms

What a difference a year can make!

We're in the midst of midterms, and I love it! Last year around this time I was stressed about creating exams. This year I'm over that stress and enjoying the flow that comes with a week of grading + no lesson planning. Bliss for me, not so much for the students.

Speaking of students, I've heard some pretty astounding excuses from a few as to why they've missed classes recently. I'm starting to feel like Ed Rooney in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and while I don't verbalize his more memorable lines, they're playing in my inner monologue:

Ed Rooney: Ed Rooney.
Cameron: [disguising voice as George Peterson] Ed. This is George Peterson.
Ed Rooney: How are you today, sir?
Cameron: [voice disguised] Well, we've had a bit of bad luck this morning as you may have heard.
Ed Rooney: Yeah I heard, and man, I'm all broken up, boy, what a blow.
Cameron: [disguised] Yeah. Yeah. Well, uh, it's been a tough morning and we got a lot of family business to take care of, so if you wouldn't mind excusing Sloane, I'd appreciate it.
Ed Rooney: Uh, yeah, sure, no I'd be happy to, yeah you, uh, you you just produce a corpse, and uh, I'll release Sloane. I wanna see this dead grandmother first hand.
Grace: Ed?
Ed Rooney: It's alright, Grace, it's Ferris Bueller the little twerp. I'm gonna set a trap and let him fall right in it.
Grace: Ooh!
Cameron: [disguised] I'm sorry, Ed, did you say you wanted to see a body?
Ed Rooney: Yeah, that's right, just, uh, roll her old bones on over here, and I'll dig up your daughter. You know that's school policy.


No comments:

Post a Comment