Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Simpsons

It's fairly common for students to take on an English name in classes where English is widely spoken (e.g. a conversational English class, like the ones I teach). Of those that select an English name, many choose traditional ones. I've taught several Johns, Jacks, Simons, Catherines, Kellys, and Jennys. 

Then there are the students who opt for more original/creative/bizarre monikers. The list is long and varied, but it includes such gems as White, Eminem, and Durst Lance Black (the student insists I use all three names when addressing him). Last semester I taught a Homer Simpson, and now this term I have a Marge Simpson. After taking attendance yesterday, I mentioned to her that I'd previously taught a Homer Simpson, to which she replied:  he's my boyfriend. Turns out he'd recommended my class.

Now I'm wondering if and when Bart, Lisa, and Maggie will show up...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment