Thursday, March 17, 2011

On Japan

I feel negligent for not writing earlier about the recent devastation in Japan, though it is certainly on the minds of many here. If I were able to speak Korean, I'd have a better grasp of the natives' take on the situation. That said, from what I've observed this week while conversing with colleagues and conducting writing workshops with students, the subject seems to be top of mind for a lot of people.  

It's difficult for me to wrap meager human understanding around such a terrible event, which may explain why I've been reluctant to talk about it in this forum. When I don't understand something, I tend to ask questions, and I usually begin with Why?

In circumstances such as these, it can be tempting to believe that God is unfair or unkind for allowing such events to occur. However, I'm reminded of words from Beth Moore regarding a more appropriate response^:
1. Acknowledge His ways are higher than ours. We don't have all the information or understanding.
2. Acknowledge what we do know about God. Anytime you are overwhelmed by what you do not know or understand about God, consider what you do know about Him. Your heart and mind will be quieted, and you will be able to walk in faith.

Depending on your perspective, these may not be the easiest or most natural steps to follow. As for myself, I am striving to walk by faith and not by sight. While reading my devotional today, I came across a verse that offers hope:
His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.             -Daniel 7:14b

For those in Japan, and for those with loved ones there, my thoughts and prayers are with you. 


^excerpt from David:  90 Days with a Heart Like His by Beth Moore, p. 381.


No comments:

Post a Comment