Monday, August 2, 2010

Shanghai Summary


It's very hard to summarize a trip to Shanghai, and I'm not quite sure how or where to begin. The city is bursting with contrasts:  It's utterly international and completely Chinese. The pace is frenetic one minute, languid the next. Patrolling police and national flags are always within sight, yet there's a spirit of individualism behind the odd corner. Ultra-modern skyscrapers nudge up against ramshackle houses. And luxury cars drive down streets where the poorest of beggars rest.  

There were times when I felt like I was in Paris or Las Vegas or a rural Asian village. At various moments it seemed as though I'd traveled back in time to the glamour of the 1920's, and then, without warning, like I'd been transported into the future, five decades out. I half-expected both F. Scott Fitzgerald and Judy Jetson to pop onto the scene. 

Over the next few days, I'll share photos from the trip. I shot over 500, so it's taking time to sort through them all and decide which ones to post. In the meantime, here's a preview, including some of my favorites.

This is Shanghai:


 
 




 


No comments:

Post a Comment