Thursday, February 3, 2011

Happy (Lunar) New Year

The reason I've been off from work this week is because of today -the official New's Year Day (Seolnal) in the Lunar calendar. For those working off the Gregorian calendar, we are now in the Year of the Rabbit, which, incidentally, is my birth year --which means I have a big birthday approaching...

Since the rabbit is now king (adios, tiger!), there are bunnies all over the place. Here are but a few examples:

  
 

 
The days leading up to today --at least for the locals-- have been characteristically marked with busy-ness and last-minute errands. The other day I visited Shinsegae, the exclusive department store, to check out the scene. The shop was bustling with activity -people were frantically scooping up host gifts and treats to bring their loved ones. I didn't do the best job capturing the spirit, but here's what I got:

 

 
     





No comments:

Post a Comment