Monday, December 6, 2010

Spit Shine

If and when I ever do leave Korea, there are certainly things I'll miss about this place. Rather than expound on all of them right here and now, I'll mention one item in particular.

Today I brought two pairs of boots to a shoe-repairman on campus. Thinking I'd drop them off and return later for pick up, I was surprised that the man had me wait. As I sat there while he worked, I watched in awe as he transformed my boots into nearly-new shoes. Over the course of 30 minutes, he replaced all the heels, and then buffed, polished, and shined the boots. He even threw in a couple of spits which made the experience all the more compelling. The most marvelous part? All the aforementioned services for the bargain price of 15,000 won (less than $15). 

No comments:

Post a Comment