Tuesday, December 7, 2010

43 Interviews = Inspiration

We're in the midst of giving oral exams at work. Today I interviewed 43 students. By the end of the week, I will have interviewed another 65.

As the students answered questions about topics I'd assigned in advance, I listened attentively and in awe. Most of them did remarkably well, fielding questions relating to travel, careers, luxury items, and achievements, among other subjects. Even the handful of students who struggled a bit still amazed me -they can all do something that I simply cannot. Which brings me to a point:  I need to keep up with my Korean lessons and practice, practice, practice.

I've been able to avoid the Korean homework piled on my desk for the last few weeks. Legitimate busy-ness relating to work has kept me preoccupied. And yet... as my mom likes to say:  we have time for the things we want to have time for. Evidently, I haven't really wanted to re-prioritize my schedule to accommodate learning Korean. Today I realized why:  I don't want to suffer through the embarrassment or awkwardness of not knowing enough (whatever enough is). Skipping class and keeping away from my homework and books enable me to operate in this safe -but ignorant- bubble.

One colleague phrased it this way:  you can't learn to swim until you get in the pool. Interacting with my students today -all 43 who endured my many questions- drove home the idea. They were an inspiration and, I suppose, the kick in the pants I needed to get back on the horse. Or in the pool.    

No comments:

Post a Comment