Sunday, December 5, 2010

Red Sauce at Night


Though not wild about the word happy (happiness, after all, depends on the possession or attainment of what one considers good which, in my opinion, sounds so conditional and fleeting), I do derive great delight from cooking. I love that it's both creative and productive. I like having an end goal in mind and then exercising liberty in how I achieve it. 

Tonight I sought to create a red sauce, more or less from scratch. As indicated in the above photo, I combined a myriad of ingredients, in addition to many seasonings -oregano, dried basil, Lawry's, and a few others- to achieve my objective. The entire process was enjoyable:  dicing shallots and garlic, chopping fresh tomatoes, and opening cans of tomato pulp and paste... all of it gave me great satisfaction. Granted, the evening would have been enhanced by the opportunity to feed another hungry mouth or two, but I still managed to enjoy myself -all the while listening to Christmas carols.

On this Advent Sunday, let's not forget the Source of eternal joy:
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be upon His shoulders.  And He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.   -Isaiah 9:6 

No comments:

Post a Comment